Karl Norton is head coach and owner of Clinch BJJ & MMA.
A student and coach also of the Maai Hyoshi Dojos, Karl teaches Brazilian Jiu Jitsu under head coach John Will of Will – Machado, Australasia. Karl has competed in various national BJJ / Grappling tournaments and travels regularly to John Will’s school in Melbourne to further his development and skills in BJJ.
Karl is of Ngā Puhi, Ngati Rereahu & Ngati Maniapoto descent and currently lives in Auckland with his wife and 2 boys. His other interests include Rugby League and gym training.
Karl’s background in martial arts is as follows:
- 1993 Commenced full time training in Ninjutsu, under the coaching of Glen Newport in Hamilton.
- 1998 Moved to Auckland and trained under the late Sensei Michael Gent, was awarded black belt later that year.
- Was introduced to ground fighting and grappling through various guest instructors (such as John Danaher) invited to NZ by Michael Gent.
- 1999 Michael Gent invited John Will to NZ to train the Maai Hyoshi Dojos in Brazilian Jiu Jitsu. Commenced regular training in BJJ to complement stand-up fighting skills and have participated in all quarterly seminars held by John since this time.
- 2003 – 2004 Awarded Blue Belt in Machado BJJ by John Will for his dedication to the system.
- 2007 Awarded Purple Belt in Machado BJJ by John Will for his commitment to furthering the Maai Hyoshi Dojo’s understanding of BJJ.
- 2008 Began teaching and coaching fulltime BJJ classes in Central Auckland
- 2011 Opened Clinch GYM – BJJ & MMA in Mangere, South Auckland
- 2016 Awarded Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belt by John Will